Second scorpion MRI

On Friday (August 3) I was contacted by Rohini Vidya Shankar (a PhD student who works at the MR at Saint Josephs hospital). She asked if I could bring in another scorpion to the lab to image. I could, and I brought the scorpion in as requested. It went the same as previously (see MR imaging) except this time we did not have anyone who knew how to run the anesthetics so I had to kill the scorpion while it was awake. We also used a slightly different technique when putting the scorpion in the 50mL vial. Originally we simply inserted the scorpion, filled the vial with the perfluorinated fluid, and screwed on the cap, but this always resulted in a small bubble (which can create an artifact by distorting the magnetic signal). This time however, instead of using only the vial cap, we stretched several layers of parafilm (like super plastic wrap) over the top of the vial and pushed the bubbles out. We then screwed the cap over the parafilm, eliminating the bubble and creating a tightly sealed container.

Here are some pictures of the lab:

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s